Being a college football fan, I like to watch as many games as possible. No matter the team or conference. I always get sucked in. Watching these games has skewed my thinking that the SEC really is the superior conference in college football. Below I present my argument why it’s the best. To be fair, I’ve included the other side of the coin…why I dislike it…somewhat.
4 reasons I heart the SEC..
- Competition. The level of play seems to be much higher than any other conference. Watching an SEC team play an out of conference game is like watching Mike Tyson in his prime…you just feel bad for the other guy for even showing up.
- Tradition/Rivalries. Overall no conference can match the traditions and rivalries. Big 10 has Michigan, OSU and Penn State…after that what…Indiana vs. Minnesota? Pac 10 has USC and…USC. ACC has FSU and Miami…both relatively young in their winning ways compared to the established rivalries of Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, Georgia and Florida. Between the Hedges, Gator Chomp, Smokey and so on…traditions everyone knows about.
- Tailgating/Fans. The most passionate fans about football and food. Sometimes food is more important than the game. What were my first questions about going to the Arkansas/Missouri State game?…What are we eating and do we have enough?
- SEC Coeds. When’s the last time you watched a Wisconsin game and said “you know? There are a lot of hot girls at that game”. Probably never. Is anything better than the ladies in the Bear Bryant hats at Alabama games? If you don’t know what I’m talking about…Google it.
4 reasons I’m ashamed to live in an SEC state…
- Tebow. I know the guy has great stats, a Heisman and two titles but I’m not sure there has ever been an athlete more over-hyped. Every Saturday on GameDay we have to hear about how he adopted four kids in Saigon and taught monkeys to read in the offseason. It’s just too much. Any day now the slip-up is coming – Tebow Arrested for DWI in Drag with car full of cats.
- SEC Fans Arrogance. See Top 4 above.
- SEC Radio Shows. Actual example of Arkansas fan calling in on the Randy Rainwater Show: Randy – “Darryl from Fordyce is up”; Darryl (in full Deliverance accent) – “Hey Randy, do you think if we had McFadden, Stoerner, Atwater, Anthony Lucas and Felix all at once we could win the national title or at least beat USC? I’ll hang up and listen.” Really?
- Controversy. I think this has gotten a little better but SEC teams always do a good job of filling up the drunk tanks after a game. It’s not always the players either. How about the Tennessee/Alabama recruiting mess a few years ago or Kiffin right now constantly stirring the controversy pot?